be happy





Summer

Summer

Monday, May 31, 2010

Prison-Temple Expereince

I am posting this mainly for me, I wanted to get it down so I would remember it. Yesterday we had a superb 5th Sunday lesson. It was one of those times I was truly thankful I was in attendance. The meeting was on facing adversity with a positive attitude. It opened by a soloist singing I Believe in Christ (one of my favorite's) and then we watched a video entitled, "My New Life" from the church website about Stephanie Nielson, a woman who almost died in a plane crash. She is alive, but her body was severely burned in the crash. One of her statements in the clip says, "I am Stephanie Nielson and I am not my body." I had read her blog before nieniedialogues.com she is a remarkably honest woman you writes about her journey.

After watching this video a woman in our ward spoke. She explained her background. She said on May 1, 2008 she was making pancakes in her home. Her oldest daughter was at school and her 2 1/2 year old daughter and 6 month old daughter were playing around the kitchen when her doorbell rang. She said as she opened her door she saw something NO military wife EVER wants to see, 6 men standing there in full dress uniforms. She was told her husband was killed in a training exercise that morning (by now tears are flowing down my face). She went on to say how she knows she is is being carried because she could not go through this alone. She gave several examples of how she has been blessed by this tragedy.

The bishopric member then got up and talked about points from Elder Holland's talk, "Lessons from Liberty Jail" (Ensign 2009) I would highly suggest you look it up and read it. It is amazing! It talks about how Joseph's time in the Liberty Jail was one of the most trying times in church history, but how it was also a time when Joseph was ever so close to God. (The Liberty Jail has significant meaning to me because of my mission. Me and some other sisters (companions) were able to sleep overnight in the jail, reading the scriptures while in Liberty Jail is an experience I will always hold dear.)

This lesson made me put things a little more into perspective with the pain and frustration I have been experiencing because of my back. I am so thankful I have a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel.

0 comments: