be happy





Summer

Summer

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mother Moment

Monday morning I went out to my car and the door was frozen shut. I worked on it for a minute or so and was able to get it open, but the ice was so thick on the windshield I had no choice but to wait for the defroster to work. AJ and I sat in a nice warm car and waited for the ice to melt. I called work to let them know I may be just a few minutes late. When I noticed the ice was melting I hopped out to scrape the windows. A minute later I went to open the door and noticed the doors had locked. The doors lock automatically if someone touches the brake, I guess as I was sitting inside I accidentally touched the brake.


SO... I am now standing outside the car in the freezing cold, my baby, purse, keys and coat are locked safely inside. We have a spare key but when I went to get it, the combination lock was frozen so I could not get to it. I saw the neighbor and asked if she had a match. When I explained the problem she said she didn't have a match, but she did have a hammer. I went back to the lock put it in my hands and warmed it enough to turn the com, but it didn't open. I went back to the neighbor and asked to use their phone. I called Kurt and he had changed the com. I went back, the lock had frozen again...I warmed it up and was able to get the key. I went inside and could not find the extra car key so I called Kurt again. We then remembered he had put the extra key in my purse when we went to Vegas and we hadn't taken it out again. So now I realize the extra key is inside the warm car with my baby, purse, other set of keys and my coat.

Kurt suggested I call 911 and see what they tell me. So I called 911... "Weber County Dispatch how can I help you?" I explained my story and was told a police officer would be there shortly and she would also call a locksmith.

As I was waiting for the police officer, I called work and told them I was going to be more than a few minutes late. I told them I would be there as soon as I could, but I had to take care of my baby. I also called my babysitter she thought maybe I had the day off...Oh how I wished that was the problem! She told me she has an appointment at 9:00 so wondered if I could drop AJ off at my parents and then she would pick him up there.

I stood by the car and talked to AJ through the window as I made the phone calls and waited for the police officer and the locksmith to arrive. The police officer arrived first. He asked me my name and date of birth and if this was my house. He then said, "This is a little embarrassing huh?" I said, "Ya, just a little!" He said he would wait for the locksmith to arrive.

Just a few minutes later Vic's key service came and in a quick jiffy the door was unlocked and I was able to give AJ a kiss. I asked how much I owed and was told when a child is involved it is no charge. I thanked him profusely and he was on his way.

I then got in the car and drove to Mom and Dad's. As I walked in my Dad said, "I didn't know we were watching AJ today." I told him Mom had told me if there was an emergency she would take him. I told him I had to call 911 this morning so I felt this qualified as an emergency. When I told him the story he laughed and laughed. He thought is was hilarious. I was still having a difficult time seeing the humor.

I then went to work. As I walked in my Principal was acting as my substitute. What a great way to start the week huh?

5 comments:

kimM said...

note to self: do not lock a running car especially when it contains children.

thank you for the lesson

dani said...

what a morning! good think for locksmiths, and 911!

salgal said...

Ahhh! At least it was warm in the car and not the summer...and A.J. was locked in his seat...and not a toddler to drive off in the car.

Bryson and Alyssa said...

oh what a day!

Malmstrom's said...

I'm still laughing...and I can totally see your dad laughing too! It's those unexpected, totally not your fault events that make life so great!! Except for missing a little of work, look at the bright side...your children got to know their principal better, Kurt will remember to tell you sooner when he changes the code, if you could have read AJs mind I'm sure he thought you were a crack up and playing a fun game going up and down, back and forth, etc. The best part...no one was hurt and it didn't cost a cent! ;)