Dad was inducted to the NCAA National Track & Cross Country Coach's Hall of Fame. The induction was held in San Antonio, Texas. That is the first time I had ever been outside an airport in Texas, it was a lot greener than I expected it to be. We stayed in a really nice hotel, it was a JW Marriott Resort. Morgan, Elynn's daughter referred to it as the castle. Kurt and I flew in with Mom and Dad and then met up with everyone else. We went down to the River Walk, drove around San Antonio, played outside in the swimming pool and went down the water slides (Yes, it was December 16th!) and we saw the Alamo. It isn't as big as I thought it would be... and it's in the MIDDLE of town. I pictured it out in the middle of nowhere, like in the movie Davy Crockett. Nope it was right smack in the middle of town on Crockett avenue. I also had fun spending time with my siblings.
The evening was delightful. We saw the Pentathlon World Record Holder, Ashton Eaton, and the first female in NCAA history to capture national titles in the 100m and 400m hurdles in the same championship, Queen Harrison, win the Bowerman Award (track & field's equivalent of the Heisman). We were entertained by John Anderson, ESPN and Wipe Out host, who was the Master of Ceremonies. But the highlight was seeing Dad being inducted. He gave a GREAT entertaining speech. He began his speech by paying tribute to Mom. After acknowledging the significant role she played in all of his accomplishments he said, "When I got married I was determined that I would be the captain of my ship. And I am. Little did I know that I married an admiral." The next day as were were walking through the airport a coach said, "Hi Coach! and his wife said, "Hi Admiral!" Dad BEAMED!
(Pictures to come)
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
NCAA National Track & Cross Country Coach's Hall of Fame
Posted by Jill at 11:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment