Knowing this I have had quite a scare recently. After having Griffin home for about 2 weeks I noticed I was having increasing pain in my lower back. I went to the chiropractor for a few weeks, but it seemed to be getting worse and not better. The pain was increasing and started going down my right leg. On Monday March 29th I decided to go to Now care. The Dr. said he wasn't sure, but I may have a herniated disc. He told me to take the medication he gave me and come back in a week if I was not significantly better. He said I may need an MRI. I went to the chiropractor later that day seeing if I could get some relief and when he went to lean me back I yelled out, "NO!" and started to cry. He told me he didn't think I should wait and he would order an MRI.
I went for an MRI on Tuesday the 30th and when I came out the tech said, "You are in quite a bit of pain aren't you." He then went on to say it was VERY OBVIOUS I had a problem between L5 and S1 in my lower back. He suggested I get a hold of my medical Dr. ASAP. It was nice to know someone knew what the problem was. I called the Dr. as soon as I got home. I was told I couldn't get in to see him until Monday April 5th. I cried again. On Thursday, April 1st my Dad saw me and told me to call Steve (my doctor who is one of my Dad's former athletes) on his cell phone. I don't use his cell phone very often, but I was in A LOT of pain and it was worth it. He answered it on the second ring and I explained everything he said he would order some stronger medication and check on me Saturday. The stronger medication seemed to help a bit, Steve did call Saturday and check on me. He's a great doctor!
I went to see Steve on Monday April 5th and he confirmed what the tech had told me. The spot between L5 and S1 is suppose to be in the shape of a kidney bean. Mine looked like a head of cauliflower sitting on top. Steve told me I had some degeneration of discs in L4 L5 and a protrusion in L5 S1. While I was there Steve had me go through a bunch of exercises to see the strength in my leg. It was REALLY BAD. When he told me to be careful when I drive because it is my the leg I use for the gas and break pedals I was SCARED! All I could think of is I need to keep the use of my leg, I need to drive my boys to T-ball and soccer. I want to be able to play with my boys! Steve ordered an epidural for Thursday April 8th to be followed up by physical therapy. Steve said the epidural would take the pain away, but not the problem. Hopefully physical therapy will do that.
Just before I was to get the epidural, Kurt took pictures of the medical instruments and the table I would be lying on for the procedure so I would have a picture to put with this post. When I got up from the epidural I could tell a small difference. It didn't really kick in until early that evening. On Friday when I got up with the baby it was almost enjoyable! (Before the epidural I would be in tears by the time I got his bottle and sat down to feed him because of the pain.)
When I went to physical therapy for the first time and went through some of the same exercises Steve had me do it was even worse! This time I couldn't push up at all on the ball of my right foot. It is a very weird sensation when you are telling your foot to move and it doesn't. The physical therapist assured me it would improve. I think he could tell I was on the verge of tears again.
Well, I have now been in physical therapy for 2 weeks and I am happy to report I am getting better! I don't have full strength yet, but it is coming! As the nerves have started to heal it has felt like I am walking with a large piece of macaroni stuck to the bottom of my foot, strange!
I still can not bend to pick things up off the floor or bend very far down at all for that matter, but I am gaining strength and now don't have to worry about loosing my driving privileges; that's a BIG relief! I am still in physical therapy but things are looking up! It's not nearly as difficult to get up with Griffin 3 times a night when I am not in excruciating pain. Yes indeedie, things are on the mend! YEAH!

0 comments:
Post a Comment