be happy





Summer

Summer

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rosie what?




A friend called me Monday, August 10th to let me know her daughter had come down with Roseola. She told me AJ had been exposed and just wanted to let me know. AJ was uncharacteristically fussy Wednesday afternoon, but I just thought he was having a bad day, we're all entitled to one of those aren't we?

I didn't think much about it until Thursday about 2am when I got up with AJ and he felt quite warm. I decided to wait until morning (a bit later in the morning) to check further because I was also warm, so I turned on the fan in our bedroom and thought all of us could cool off.

When we got up again about 5:30, I took his temperature. It was 101.4. I took it again a few minutes later and in was 101.5. I continued to take it until I could call the doctor, it was steadily over 101. The Dr. told me to come in because newborns shouldn't have a temp over 100.4.

After a check-up and blood work we were told it was some kind of viral infection and we should watch him close because newborns can change quickly, if he still had a temp tomorrow we were to bring him back.

Friday he didn't have a temp. but I could tell he just didn't feel well. He threw-up Friday night; erupted like a volcano, it spewed at least 4 feet! Saturday he broke out with the rash, then we knew it really was Roseola. So I guess we can officially say we have survived our first childhood disease.

He is better now. Back to his ol' happy self.

3 comments:

Bryson and Alyssa said...

That's a funny coincidence that AJ has broken out with the same virus I've now got. I know it's a childhood disease, but apparently young adults (especially young women between 18 and 23) are prone to it as well, but they usually only get the red spots. I probably broke out a month or two ago, and they're almost finally gone.
Poor AJ, I can sympathize. :)

salgal said...

I am glad you still call me a friend. I am glad that he is feeling better. He looks way cute in his little chair.

kimM said...

He sure is filling out and getting big. Fun pics--the doorknob and the little chair are great. So glad your sister could recommend something she really didn't know about.