be happy





Summer

Summer

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gibson Traditions

I have learned two new traditions that Kurt did while he was growing up that we will now incorporate into our family... Kris Kringle Day and Advent Calendars. Kris Kringle Day is December 5th. It is a German tradition... all of the children set out their shoes and then in the morning, they get to see if they have been naughty or nice. If they have been nice they will find a piece of candy or a surprise, if they have been naughty there will be coal or nothing at all. Bianca and her family continue it every night until Christmas. I'm not sure how long it will go for us, but it will start on Dec. 5th next year!
This year MacKenzie,our babysitters daughter, was selling advent calendars for a fundraiser so I bought two. When I brought them home Kurt said, "My Mom would get one of these for us every year." When John saw them he commented on how Gisela would make sure each of her children had an advent calendar for Christmas. He thought it was great we were carrying on the tradition. AJ definitely has caught on. One of the first things he does when he comes home is go over to the china hutch where the calendar is kept and starts pointing and yelling until his Dad opens it up and they eat a piece of chocolate.

0 comments: