be happy





Summer

Summer

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Guava Cake



You know when you first get married and you want to make sure you do everything really nice for your husband's birthday?  Well, as any good wife would, I asked him what his favorite cake was... his first choice was Haupia cake.  How-a what? I asked!  I had NO clue what that was so I asked him what his second choice would be and he said Guava. HUH? What about chocolate or banana nut?  So I spent several times trying to find a recipe for these cakes.  When Kurt came home from Afghanistan I thought I had made him the perfect Guava cake, I even had to go to a speciality store to get some of the ingredients.  He looked at it and said, "That's not Guava cake."  I was hurt.  I had spent a lot of time researching Guava cakes and still came up short.  Since then I have not tried again to make a Guava or Haupia cake.  I told him when he takes me to Hawaii and I see what the is talking about, I may try again.  Well, he took me to Hawaii!  This is what a Guava cake looks like.  Now I know.  It is delicious, I see why he likes it. Maybe it's time for me to try again.  I also got a mix to make Haupia so I may need to try that one out too!
***This was purchased at Dee Lite Bakery in Honolulu Hawaii

0 comments: